Mama's Home Remedies
As excited as I am for fall, I am not enthused about the havoc it always wreaks on my allergies + the seemingly inevitable cold I get every year. Growing up, my mother and grandmother would always tell me/make me do the most ridiculous and or disgusting things to stay well. I hated it then. Swear by it now.
Here are tried and true home remedies straight from my grandmother, to mother, to me, to you.
1. Take a Vitamin D supplement to keep your mood light and balanced + to keep your energy up.
2. Drink at least 24oz of water a day.
This is extremely important because sugary drinks will only drain your energy and in the fall/winter I think we're already running on less.
3. Get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep a night/day if you can.
According to mom, power naps count!
4. Dress for the weather.
Yes, I know a hoe never gets cold (word to Cardi) but, the warmer the better. Meaning, light layers are best as you can just take things off when you get warm versus having to try and put stuff on with cold.
5. Keep your neck and head covered when outside in chilly temperatures.
Heat escapes through your head so you want to account for that. And, I just feel like any time my neck is out I'm guaranteed to get sick.
6. Drink green tea with lemon daily.
7. Take an echinacea tablet at the first sign of a cold. It will shorten its duration.
8. Take an extended shower when your sinuses are dry to allow the steam to lubricate your nostrils.
9. Sleep with a humidifier or bowl of water over your heat vent.
This will keep the air from getting too dry and making it easier for you to get sick.
10. Always wear thick socks or slippers in doors.
I always thought this was the dumbest thing ever, buttt it helps. I don't know how or why. It just does.
11. Mix 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup honey in a jar. Stir and use to gargle every 4-6 hours (morning & night, let's be real) when you have a sore throat or feel one coming on.
This kills the bacteria back there and it's gross but it works. We swear by this in my house.
I also swear by a glass or two of OJ a day.
Hopefully abiding by these rules will help us avoid any possible sicknesses this fall/winter!
What are some of your home remedies? Let us know in the comments!