As promised, we’re back with more on how it feels to be a Black woman. We gave you all things hair, makeup, skincare and now it’s time to discuss nails. There’s nothing worse than a piss poor manicure or janky full set. There’s a special bond that comes with finding a nail tech that does exactly what you need. Keep em’ close! We chopped it up with a few women with amazing taste in nails. Here’s what we asked:
- What are you getting done when you go to the nail salon?
- Do you abide by seasonal color trends? Top 3 colors?
- Do you make a point frequent to black owned nail salons? Why or why not?
Duanecia is the founder of Seventh Suite, a creative services firm focused on brand strategies for socially conscious influencers. She’s also apart of the senior staff at Teach For America. Keep up with her on social media @Duanecia.
- Gel manicures on my natural nails are my go-to; between writing and typing, typical nail polish doesn’t cut it. I need something that’ll stand the test of my travel schedule and writing rituals.
- I’m an OPI snob (I admit it!) I love diving into taupes like “Steady As She Rose” for Fall or deep browns like “Squeaker of the House”. My top 3 go-tos all year round are Elephantastic Pink, Mimosas for Mr. and Mrs. and Dulce De Leche.
- I try my best but admit I need to get better. My travel schedule makes it hard to always easily identify Black-owned nail salons. I’m in multiple cities many times a week and haven’t yet locked it down.
She’s a editor/writer in media and has worked at Refinery 29 and UsWeekly to name a few. Keep up with her on social media @BriannaArps!
- I try to take a trip to my safe haven, Paintbucket Nail Shop in Williamsburg, BK, at least twice a month. Whenever I go, I always get a fresh paint job on my nails (gel) and toes (regular polish). Sometimes, when I’m feeling extra, I’ll ask my favorite artist at the salon — Amy Wong — to hook me up with a design or two.
- I’m that person who prefers to choose a nail color based on my mood rather than stick to seasonal trends. With that being said, though, I do love me a good burgundy shade when fall rolls around — or a deep emerald green hue like what I’m wearing right now. Plum is another top choice during this time of year. All three colors just scream “sexy, sophisticated woman coming through” and won’t EVER go out of style in my book.
- Whenever I’m on the road traveling, if I need my nails done, my first thought is to find a Black-owned nail salon before heading anywhere else. Why? Because supporting one another and building Black wealth is a MUST. For instance, a few years ago while on location in Detroit, the documentary crew I was helping to make a film with stopped by The TEN Nail Bar. Co-founded by two best friends, Kelli and Anika, it has since been crowned the city’s first modern nail bar experience — and man, we were far from disappointed. A 10 out of 10 visit for sure — pun inTENded!
- My nails are my favorite but also most low maintenance thing about me. Luckily, they grow in very long and strong so I hardly get anything done at the nail salon: basic manicures, once a month, to keep my cuticles in shape. Outside of that, I’m only going in for color changes when I want something new. Very straight forward. They don’t even have to shape my nails and I don’t do gel polish.
- I never focus on specific color trends but I’ll often go deeper when it’s cold and brighter in the warm months. Powder blue and turquoise are generally staples of mine in any season, though. So just by default, those two are firmly in my Top 3. But I recently tried an orange sherbet and I loved it. And I’m obsessed with this gorgeous green from OPI called Stranger Tides–it’s discontinued but salons still carry it and I’ve stocked up. Lol.
- I don’t. And this is a failing on my part. I typically go to what’s closest to whatever I have to do that day. The service that I get is so simple (typically just a polish) that most salons can handle it–I’ve never had to develop a relationship with a nail tech. It really comes down to convenience for me.
- My go-to is a gel mani with minimal designs and occasionally I’ll do S&S (dip powder).
- I wouldn’t say I abide by seasonal trends. I have my moments where I’ll do a darker color in the fall, but usually I wear what I like no matter the season. Plus, certain colors look better with my skin tone than others, so that also is a factor. My top 3 colors are: Periwinkle, blush pink and and sapphire blue.
- I always try my best to, especially in the last few years. It’s important to support my own and the way in which my nails are cared for is of a higher level. I’ve also found that the service is better. There are are so many talented black nail techs and I absolutely want to continue to patronize them. — @ajackdaniels is next on my list. She is thee bomb!
Next up our last section, brows & lashes!