Last week we talked about how it feels to care for black hair. This week it’s all about makeup and the beauty of slaying your face as a woman with some melanin! The lack of inclusivity doesn’t stop the show when it comes to Black women and makeup. Thanks to brands like Fenty Beauty and Beauty Bakerie, the industry is taking steps in the right direction to be more inclusive and providing products that work for women of all shades. We got the chance to connect with a few melanin mamis and ask them the following:
- Which nude lipstick(s) are best for WOC?
- You’re going on a date.. What is your go-to makeup look?
- What beauty trick changed the game for you?
- You just got home from a night out… it’s 3am… what’s the skincare routine?
1. If you are looking for a dark brown, Kat Von D has an amazing one in the shade Crucifix that I have been in love with for the past two years. But, Mented Cosmetics has to be the best when it comes to the range of nudes you can find as a person of color. They are a Black owned brand and their entire line of nude lipsticks caters to the different shades of melanin that black women and men come in!
2. Definitely glowy skin with a nice wing liner (not too dramatic), lashes, and either a bomb nude lip or red lip depending on my mood. A simple but effective beat!
3. When I first started experimenting with makeup, I noticed that sometimes my face would be gray from the foundation that I was using. When it comes to dark shades, most companies will either make foundation that is too cool toned which leaves me looking ashy, or too warm, which leaves me looking very red. I started mixing my own shades together and that has changed the game for me for real! Another trick is using concealer to clean up the edges of my wing liner to give me a super precise line.
4. If it’s 3am, I am doing the bare minimum! I’ll use Neutrogena Makeup Remover wipes, wash my face with the Clean and Clear Night Relaxing Face Wash, moisturize with Drunk Elephant’s Lala Retro Whipped Cream and Drunk Elephant’s Virgin Marula Facial Oil and end off by applying Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask.
This beauty vlogger is a London native sharing gorgeous makeup looks and all the tips and tricks you need to know to slay. Keep up with her on Instagram at @h.b__.
1. I personally love NYX Soft Matte Lip Creme because it doesn’t dry down and its the perfect colour for my skin tone. Other favourites are Too Faced Melted Chocolate Milkshake with a dark brown liner and Milani Brilliant Shine Lip Gloss in Bare Secret.
2. I love a glowy, golden look – I find that it just suits my undertone better. I would usually go for a subtle brown eye look, not too dark or smokey, with my highlighter on my eyelid. Sometimes when I want to switch it up, I use the same colour scheme as a Halo look. I’ll usually go for nude lip with a dark brown liner (probably NYX Slim Lip Pencil in Chocolate or Soft Brown). I like to put some gloss on top as well to make my lips look extra juicy.
3. This is a hard one because I feel like I learned all my game changing tricks a good 10 years ago and I’ve stuck to the same tricks ever since. The most recent trick for me, though, has to be baking my brows when baking the rest of my face. My face can get really oily during the day and my eyebrows get shiny, but this trick actually stops this from happening.
4. I’ve had a few occasions of waking up with my full face on (lashes and everything) but I definitely wouldn’t recommend this! Typically, I’ll use two makeup wipes to take off all my products, and then the Garnier Oil-Infused Micellar Water to really clean my face. I’ll use as many cotton pads as it takes until no more makeup is coming off. I’ll put on a moisturizer to make sure that my skin doesn’t dehydrate overnight, and then I’ll properly wash my face first thing in the morning.
1. If I had to choose, one of my favorite nude lipsticks to use is “Sable” matte lipstick by NYX, and it’s WOC friendly. If I’m wearing a nude lip, nine times out of ten Sable is included. I also have been using the new Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Paint in the shade “Unveil” the color speaks for itself. My favorite nude gloss to use is the MTF Cosmetics gloss in “Cedar” and “So Chic” both are great for WOC friendly. “Cedar” is my best selling gloss. I also love the Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb in “Fenty Glow.” It’s so universal and I love it. My favorite nude lip combination is Sable lipstick, paired with a brown lip liner (Nutmeg by NYX is great) topped with either Cedar or Fenty Glow.
2. My favorite looks to do on myself are neutral. That typically includes brown, red, pink, and gold eyeshadow and a nude or pink lip.
3. I don’t think there’s any beauty trick that’s really changed the game for me, or it just hasn’t happened yet. I will say that I would rather use brushes over beauty blenders any day. My makeup comes out more flawless.
4. No matter how late it is, I always do some form of skincare. I NEVER sleep with my makeup on. After a super late night, after taking my makeup off, I always manage to use cleaner and moisturizer. When I wake up, then I will do my full blown routine. It’s okay to go to bed SOMETIMES without doing your full routine, but always make sure to take your makeup off.
1. I think Velvet Teddy by MAC with their brown lip liner is great for WOC.
2. I’m all about skinnnnn! So it’s going to be a really good base – I go with NARS Radiant Foundation – even dewy skin, with a nice contour and a halo of bronzer around the face. I’d have to have a great fluffy lash, usually Huda’s Sasha lash. I do a nude glossy lip with brown liner. I think glossy lips are best for dates as mattes require a bit of maintenance. You don’t want to worry about having lipstick on your teeth when talking. I love a little sparkle so I’d go with Fenty Beauty’s Trophy Wife highlighter in the corner of the eyes, tip of the nose & cheekbones.
3. Color correcting. I tend to have naturally lined lips and have darker skin in that area. It can look grey or ashy when I go over the area with foundation. Color corrector fixed that problem.
Ariel is a beauty influencer, consistent with beautiful makeup looks and reviews on the latest products so you know what to spend your money on. Hit that follow button on Instagram!
1. I believe WOC can pull off any nude paired with a good brown liner. My go-to is the MAC Cork liner. Some nudes can look SUPER ashy, but with brown liner and gloss you’re good to go.
2. I always go for a soft glam. I like to be extra but not that extra. Lol. So for me, this is a brown outer crease and a gold shimmer eyelid with Ardell Double Wispies. I’ll also pop on a brown gloss or MAC lipstick in whirl.
3. I’m going have to go with corrector and baking! I used to have grey areas under my eyes and never understood why. So my makeup would tend to look uneven. I finally discovered using orange corrector from Iris Beilin on YouTube and I can’t do my makeup without it! I also have VERY oily skin and baking has helped tremendously with oil control.
- Remove makeup: Neutrogena Makeup Remover Wipes – DO NOT SLEEP WITH MAKEUP ON! I’ve done it.. bad idea…
- Wash: Organic African Black Soap – helps remove all the makeup and my face feels squeaky clean
- Tone: Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel – this toner gets literally anything you missed
- Moisturize: Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer for combination skin – I have oily skin, but I like how lightweight and quick it dries.
*depending on how my skin is acting I sometimes mix my moisturizer with grapeseed oil to help with dark spots and acne
Next up, skincare!